Sweet Potato-Cranberry Doughnuts
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried cranberries
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons apple cider or juice
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, yeast, cinnamon, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, shortening and water to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the eggs, mashed potatoes and cranberries; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter; reroll scraps. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Combine confectioners' sugar and apple cider; dip warm doughnuts in glaze.
Nutrition Facts1 glazed doughnut: 191 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 7, 2016
Oh my heck!!! These are heavenly!!!!
Jan 3, 2016
These donuts were amazing! I wasn't sure how sweet potato would be in them but they we're great. The perfect blend of flavored. I used less apple juice for the icing because my family likes our doughnuts with a thick glaze.