Sweet Potato Cranberry Bake
In October, my husband helps harvest cranberries at a friend's bogs, so I have access to the very freshest ingredients. Their bold autumn flavor pairs up perfectly with sweet potatoes to make a seasonal side dish my family looks forward to. —Jill Doyle, Kingston, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- Place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, 20-30 minutes. Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes and cut into 1/4-in. slices.
- Place half in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the cranberries, brown sugar and butter. Repeat layers. Pour orange juice over top. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter. Sprinkle over sweet potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, until topping is golden brown, about 10 minutes longer.
Health tip: One serving of this classic side dish provides all the vitamin A your body needs for the day.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 386 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 7g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Cranberry Bake in Country Woman September/October 2003