Sweet Potato Chili Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (6-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute sweet potato and red pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes, broth, beans, brown sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions; stir in cheese. Drop by tablespoonfuls over chili.
- Cover and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with toppings of your choice.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 324 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 1204mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 6g fiber), 10g protein.
Dec 20, 2017
I already had cornbread muffins, so I completely skipped steps 2 & 3. I served the chili with the muffins over some rice. I found that it was a little more liquid-y than I normally like my chilis, but that may have been because I didn't do the cornbread (which may have soaked up some of the liquid while in the oven). So that's my fault. Besides that, I think it was fairly tasty. It wasn't overly amazing, but still yummy. Not sure I'd make this again unless I have the ingredients already on hand, but I can see why others would like it.
Mar 1, 2014
Was really good. Will be sure to have the sour cream on hand next time also, made it extra tasty .Husband loved it.
Nov 10, 2013
Jan 9, 2013
<p>I liked this very much! It's has a nice flavor and feels like comfort food. The rest of the family wasn't as enthusiastic, but that may be because we are used to hot and spicy dishes and this is pretty mild. Maybe next time I'll turn up the heat with cayenne and chipotle. I'll definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing this!</p>
May 17, 2012
I make this recipe all the time now, but with honey butter corn bread, extra beans, and an onion. My husband is in love and we love extra cornbread on top :)
Mar 26, 2012
So glad to have found this recipe! I put thin slices of Polenta on the top instead of cornbread mix hoping it'd be a bit more healthy than the ingredients in those box mixes. This also helps by not absorbing much liquid. Delicious recipe!
Dec 22, 2011
Full of flavor. Really enjoyed the chili bake. The sweet potatoes were my favorite part.
Apr 18, 2011
I loved this dish. I used the Jiffy cornbread box for the cornbread, which is larger, but still thought the ratio was nice. I did add an extra cup of broth the next time I made it and that was good, too.
Mar 7, 2011
Feb 18, 2011
Made this last night. Good flavor, but too much cornbread. If I made this again I would double the Chili ingredients and use less cornbread. Most of the liquid evaporated. With some tweaking this could be a keeper:-)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.