Sweet Onion Corn Bake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, milk, dill and salt until blended; stir in 1 cup of cheese. Stir into the onion mixture; remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, corn, cornbread mix and hot pepper sauce. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Spoon onion mixture over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer reaches 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 241 calories, 15g fat (10g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 421mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Jun 14, 2016
Didn't care for this recipe - probably just my taste. I love onions and sour cream. Love corn bread. But just didn't like the combination.
Nov 20, 2012
This is a great recipe. I made it for a pot luck and had several requests for the recipe. Am making it for our Thanksgiving dinner. I'm sure it will become a tradition.
Jun 17, 2011
I have made this many times - it is delicious. I've also mixed it up a few hours ahead and put in the oven on time bake, it comes out fine.
Feb 24, 2011
This is an excellant side dish, and so easy to prepare. I have made this several times for large gatherings.
Mar 26, 2010
This is a great recipe. I use french onion dip instead of sour cream. Very tasty!!
Aug 24, 2009
Jiffy brand makes a corn muffin mix in the perfect size for this recipe.
Aug 23, 2008
I make this dish for cookouts and family gatherings and have never come home with leftovers, much to my husbands dismay. I get requests for it several times a year. I have even added a few more hot pepper sauce for a little extra zip and it is always yummy!
May 29, 2008
I made this to take to a family gathering but I was not happy with the way it turned out and I did not take it. The bottom was way too soggy. I think the problem was due to the corn muffin mix I used. The brand I used did not have 8 1/2 oz. But my two sons ate the whole thing and enjoyed it, so thanks for the recipe. I will make it again since I bought more corn muffin mix in the correct size.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.