Sweet Onion Creamed Corn
A friend from church gave me this easy and delicious recipe over 40 years ago, and I still make it regularly. She was from the South, and whenever I cook it, I think about her fondly. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 5 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 5 cups frozen corn (about 24 ounces), thawed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed and softened
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Cook and stir onion and sweet red pepper in bacon drippings over medium-high heat until tender, 5-6 minutes.
- In a greased 4-qt. slow cooker, combine corn, ham, cream, brown sugar, parsley, paprika, salt, pepper, bacon and onion mixture. Cook, covered, on low until heated through, 3-4 hours. Stir in cream cheese; cook, covered, 10 minutes longer. Stir before serving.
Originally published as Sweet Onion Creamed Corn With Ham in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.