Sweet Onion Creamed Corn
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 5 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 5 cups frozen corn (about 24 ounces), thawed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed and softened
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Cook and stir onion and sweet red pepper in bacon drippings over medium-high heat until tender, 5-6 minutes.
- In a greased 4-qt. slow cooker, combine corn, ham, cream, brown sugar, parsley, paprika, salt, pepper, bacon and onion mixture. Cook, covered, on low until heated through, 3-4 hours. Stir in cream cheese; cook, covered, 10 minutes longer. Stir before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 336 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 791mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Oct 15, 2019
It turned out very good, it was yummy, and my husband liked it too. When I first make a recipe I always make it the way it is presented, then if I like it enough to make it again, then I will change or add something if I think needed. In this, I think I would omit the ham, and maybe add a couple more slices of bacon.