Vidalia Onion Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 large sweet onions, sliced (about 12 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender and liquid has evaporated. Place half the onions in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with half the cracker crumbs and cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 386 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 506mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 28, 2014
This recipe is an instant favorite. It was simple to make. The best I could describe this is like a baked blooming onion but much tastier.
Nov 4, 2011
This recipe was easy to make and so delicious. It will become a regular item for our meals!
Nov 26, 2010
This recipe is excellent--and so easy! I didn't have any Romano cheese, so I increased the cheddar and Parmesan by about 1/2 cup each. I'm going to make this for Christmas instead of my usual creamed onions.
Oct 6, 2010
I liked it. The wife didn't care for it so much. Next Time I'll try it with a little less cheese and some sour cream.
Apr 20, 2010
Vidalia onion bake is a simple dish my family makes when we think it will fit in with what we are eating. It's delicious and easy to make and does not require a lot of attention so we do just fine with it. It's a keeper and going in my recipe box.