Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 to 5 large Vidalia or sweet onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 10 butter-flavored crackers, crushed
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onions in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream.
- Spoon half into a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Top with remaining onion mixture and crackers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 198 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 323mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Feb 3, 2014
We all loved this recipe, as is, for Sunday dinner with roasted potatoes and chicken.I used Maya Sweet onions and only needed three because they are large and it seemed like a lot for a 1 quart dish. I used a 2 quart casserole and it was filled up 3/4 of the way.Will surely make it again!
Jul 17, 2013
Loved it! I was looking for a recipe to use my onions, and found this one. I took the suggestions of others and added swiss cheese and french fried onions. I will definitely make this again.
Jun 16, 2013
Vidalia onions are out of season here so I used Texas Sweet. We liked this recipe a lot. Did not have crackers so used 1-1/2 c. French fried onions on top as suggested below. Will make again.
Nov 8, 2011
This is now my family's favorite and I will forever be asked to bring this dish. I added swiss cheese on top of the parmesan cheese and it really popped. I also used french fried onions on top as I had no crackers. You can't get too much onion!
Mar 15, 2011
After raving over this side dish, he could not believe there were only 5 ingredients. We have added this recipe to our 'favorites' recipe box and make it often.
Jan 9, 2010
This is a great side with steak and on baked potatoes. I did add a few sliced mushrooms to the onion mixture in the skillet. But I love onion and mushrooms together!!!
Jan 6, 2010
Absolutely delicious. I wouldn't change a thing.
Apr 25, 2009
We have made this casserole several times. It goes great with steaks, prime rib even hamburgers. My family loves this recipe. MN