Vidalia Onion Relish
Burgers and brats get the star treatment with this sweet onion topping. Bourbon adds a lovely caramel note, and the crushed pepper flakes turn up the heat. —Janet Roth, Tempe, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 15 min.
- 4 large sweet onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 4 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cooked sausage or meat of your choice
- In a large saucepan, cook onions in oil over medium heat 40-45 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Add bourbon, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until thickened. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator up to 1 week. Serve with sausage or other meat.