Apple & Sweet Pepper Relish
Before you turn your apples into cobbler or pie, consider this unique relish. On burgers, brats or served along side pork, this sweet and savory condiment will be a game-changer at your next cookout. —Janette Schulz, McDonough, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + chilling
Makesabout 7 cups
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped peeled Braeburn or other apples (about 4 medium)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- In a nonreactive Dutch oven, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until onions are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate, covered, at least 6-8 hours before serving. May refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
Originally published as Apple Relish in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.