Red Pepper Onion Relish
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute red pepper and onion in oil and butter for 2 minutes. Add garlic; saute 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the wine or broth, basil, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until liquid is evaporated and vegetables are golden brown, stirring often.
Nutrition Facts1/3 cup: 46 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jun 28, 2010
This was delicious and very easy. I served it over grilled Italian Sausages and my family loved it. The only thing I did different was that I added one green pepper and I used a yellow onion. It took 20-30 minutes for the peppers and onions to carmelize. This worked perfect for the grilling time of the sausages!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.