Pickled Pepper Relish
Here's an eye-catching medley that's an instant flavor booster. “I love it on barbecued beef sandwiches, or added to coleslaw or potato salad,” notes Karen Barb from Layton, Utah. “It's also great heated on a chicken breast or pork chop.”
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 1/4 cup each finely chopped green, sweet red and yellow pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Place the peppers, chilies and onion in a 2-cup glass container; set aside. In a saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Ladle boiling liquid over pepper mixture. Stir in the bay leaf, allspice and coriander. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours or overnight.
- In a small saucepan, bring vinegar and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Drain pepper mixture; discard bay leaf. Transfer to a serving bowl; stir in vinegar mixture. Serve with a slotted spoon.