Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup raspberry vinegar
- 1 medium tart apple, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, divided
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir brown sugar and water for 5 minutes. Add vinegar and apple; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add the jalapeno, ginger, garlic, cilantro, salt, cinnamon, cloves and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until apple is tender. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender; add 1 cup strawberries. Cover and process until blended. Chop remaining strawberries; stir into relish. Serve with your favorite grilled meats.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 79 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 43mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Aug 17, 2011
This recipe is fantastic on grilled chicken. We made a big batch this summer and shared it with my mother and sis-in-law!
Jul 26, 2010
This tasted awesome with the chicken and it was easy to make. It made a lot of sauce though and my kids wouldn't eat it because of the jalapenos, so next time, I'll cut the recipe in half.
Jun 11, 2010
This was fabulous. Grilled chicken breast with simply salt and pepper served over a bed of spinach with chopped walnuts and crumbled blue cheese. No dressing needed this relish did the trick.