Field editor Earlene Ertelt of Woodburn, Oregon says, "This pretty sauce perks up your taste buds. It's good on hot muffins and waffles or over vanilla ice cream."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 pound fresh or frozen rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 jar (12 ounces) currant jelly
- 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring rhubarb and jelly to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Remove from the heat.
- Mash with a potato masher. Stir in the strawberries and sugar; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cool. Pour into freezer containers; refrigerate or freeze. Serve as a side dish or over ice cream or waffles.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 39 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Rhubarb-Strawberry Sauce in Taste of Home April/May 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.