Strawberry-Rhubarb Cream Dessert
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped, divided
- Additional brown sugar, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, pecans, butter and sugar. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in rhubarb until combined. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool. Stir in strawberries.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Fold in 1 cup whipped cream. Spread over crust; top with rhubarb mixture. Spread with remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving. Garnish with additional brown sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 577 calories, 38g fat (20g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 18, 2018
I noticed that the rhubarb only cooks for about 5 minutes. Is that enough to cook the rhubarb?
May 27, 2018
I want to make this - it sounds great, but one quick question. Doesn't the whipping cream need to be sweetened? Especially for the topping? Do you just follow a regular recipe for whipped cream?
Apr 30, 2018
TanyaBFN just omit the nuts..that is all you have to do...
Apr 29, 2018
AMAZING!! This is easier than it looks! It is the best dessert I have ever made!! I've made many desserts in the last 35 years! It is beautiful too! Great for any occasion! Follow recipe exactly as it says!!
Apr 19, 2018
How could you make the crust without nuts? Any suggestions? Thanks
Jan 30, 2018
This was a very nice change from my usual strawberry-rhubarb crisps and pies. I used twice the amount of strawberries (thankful for the Florida crop that's coming into our markets right now) because I had less of my frozen (thawed) rhubarb than the recipe calls for. I also made the crust using half walnuts, half pecans. The next time I make this dessert, I just might double the cream cheese layer to make it more cheesecake-like. Thank you for a wonderful recipe. It is truly delicious.
May 2, 2014
I have made this twice and everyone loves it........be sure to bring the recipe with you!!
Mar 10, 2013
I have made this recipe several times. It is without a doubt my absolute favorite dessert.
Dec 14, 2011
This has got to be one of our favorites!!!!Thanks for sharing...
May 23, 2011
I feel the topping really takes away from the rhubarb flavor. I prefer having the rhubarb as the strongest.