Winning Rhubarb-Strawberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- 1 large egg
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold lard
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 3 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Coarse sugar
- In a small bowl, whisk egg, 4 tablespoons ice water and vinegar until blended. In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in lard until crumbly. Gradually add egg mixture, tossing with a fork, until dough holds together when pressed. If mixture is too dry, slowly add additional ice water, a teaspoon at a time, just until mixture comes together.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, mix sugar and tapioca. Add rhubarb and strawberries; toss to coat evenly. Let stand 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim.
- Add filling; dot with butter. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Brush milk over pastry; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Place pie on a baking sheet; bake 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 45-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool pie on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece (calculated without coarse sugar): 531 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 27, 2019
Why can’t I see the ingredients for the filling. I want to make but don’t know the amounts of anything.
May 25, 2019
Great pie! One question though. I want to make this throughout the year. Can I use 3 cups frozen strawberries?
Apr 13, 2018
Outstanding pie! My daughter requested a Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie for her birthday and I am so happy to have found this recipe - we all flipped over it!! Mad it exactly as written and it was perfect, not too runny and so delicious!
Aug 11, 2017
Excellent pie recipe... Best ever
Jun 27, 2017
Best pie ever. Everyone loved it and fought over the last piece!
Jun 9, 2017
To die for! Excellent recipe. My absolute favorite pie.