Creamy Strawberry Dessert
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 45 wafers)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine the wafer crumbs, sugars and butter; press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle gelatin over boiling water. Remove from the heat; stir until gelatin is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in strawberries and milk. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until partially set.
- Fold whipped topping into strawberry mixture. Spread over prepared crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Cut into squares.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 3, 2016
I followed the recipe exactly. It never did set up. It was a runny mess. I used unsweetened strawberries and it was way too sweet. I will not be making this again.
Oct 4, 2012
I followed the recipe exact and it was a soupy mess. Also the crust under was so hard it could not be cut easily. The picture showed a pretty slice. Don't know what went wrong as I even made it the day before.
Feb 8, 2012
This was WAY too sweet for my tastes, in spite of the fact that instead of the 20 oz. of frozen sweetened strawberries, I used 16 oz. of fresh strawberries, cut up. In fact, I think another pound of fresh strawberries would help cut the sweetness and there was certainly enough "matrix" to hold a lot more strawberries. Really, it was so sweet it reminded me of eating jelly beans! And I like jelly beans, but for a whole dessert???
Sep 21, 2010
Everyone loves this recipe! It is a great summertime dessert, but I get asked for it all year long from my family. When I take it to family dinners there never seems to be enough. I did make one change, my husband doesn't like vanilla wafers so I use graham cracker crumbs instead. Still works out great, you should give it a try once.
Aug 21, 2010
Easy and delicious. Always a huge hit at potlucks.
Jun 9, 2010
May 29, 2009
I have prepared this dessert for the past several years and it is absolutely delicious. There's never any left when I take it to a potluck. A friend asks me to make it for her birthday each year. Easy to prepare and a real eye-catcher! You can't go wrong with this one.