Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, bring rhubarb and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Place rhubarb in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Whisk in rhubarb puree until blended. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Use as a basting sauce for grilled meats. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 80 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 251mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Jun 19, 2017
Love it, i could eat it by spoonfuls, I blended my onioninto the rhubarb, and the hot sauce, didnt make it hot, which my hubby doesnt like hot things, he liked it also. Will put up rhubarb to make this winter.
Aug 9, 2015
So wiith my mother in law visitig for a week i searched for a different BBQ sauce to make. Once i told them what i was making neither my wife or mother in law wanted anything to do with it.Once done i continued on with my plan. Started grilling some chicken breasts and basting them with the sauce, Well i got them to eventually try it and it was a complete success. They loved it! Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Jul 27, 2013
I will absolutely make this again, and again! What a unique ingredient for barbeque sauce! My dad grows rhubarb every summer. And, picking tangy rhubarb is a fond memory of mine! It doesn't disappoint in a barbeque sauce! Love it! I did however, omit the hot sauce. I would have loved the spicy kick, but my kids would not! I also placed the finished product into the food processor to grind the onions. Again, adapting it for the kids! Wonderful Recipe!
Jun 12, 2013
Made this awesome bbq sauce and the family all want the recipe! It's a hit.
May 19, 2012
This was just to sweet for my taste. Also very high in calories and carbs.
Sep 19, 2011
Great recipe! The rhubarb gives the sauce an added kick. I poached chicken breasts, then shredded them, covered with sauce and served as a lower fat version of barbecue sandwiches.
Jul 24, 2011
The sauces is a bit different if you just use it for a dipping sauce but once you put it on ribs/chicken/pork and smoke or bbq it. To die for!!!!!
Jun 10, 2011
I just started cooking with rhubarb and found this sauce easy and delicious. I'm marinating chicken breasts with the sauce for dinner tonight! Giving a jar to my rhubarb "supplier" for a thank you!
May 26, 2011
This was an great with chicken as a sauce, I added some habano cayenne pepper to this and used with as a hot wing sauce. It had an equal balance of hot and sweet to it. I can't wait to try it with kaboobs.
Jul 7, 2010
This sauce is amazing. I just "eyeballed" the ingredients so maybe added more ingredients then called for but loved it. I also added liquid smoke (about 1 tablespoon) and that, I think, was the extra that this sauce needed. I haven't tried canning this but I think you could do it because there is plenty of acid in it. I was thinking of canning it myself :)