Rhubarb Steak Sauce
When the aroma of this sauce cooking wafts through the house, my family can't wait to grill steaks! I freeze this sauce in plastic containers, and keep some refrigerated in salad dressing bottles, ready for use. I not only use it on meat, but I'll also add a dash or two to some soup recipes.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour + chilling
Makesabout 7 cups
- 8 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool. Refrigerate in covered containers.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 43 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Rhubarb Steak Sauce in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook