Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb (1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 to 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- Pound or angel food cake
- In a saucepan, combine rhubarb, water, sugar, lemon zest and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until rhubarb is soft, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in strawberries, lemon juice and cinnamon. If desired, add food coloring. Cool. Serve over cake.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 43 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 51mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 11, 2015
One cup is way too much water. As the rhubarb cooks, it releases water so you only need a little to get it started. It took a long time to cook this down to be thick enough for sauce. Otherwise the recipe was ok. I used orange juice/zest instead of lemon.
Jun 27, 2014
This is a great recipe but I did tweek it a bit. I used Splenda instead of sugar and used equal amounts of strawberry and rhubarb and no food coloring. Family loved it!
Jul 25, 2013
Awesome. I am from Minnesota and rhubarb grew wild. In San Diego I have to buy rhubarb. It was worth it. This is delicious on angel food cake. Try it you'll like it.