Spiced Rhubarb Sauce
Served here with pork chops, this unique sauce adds bold flavor to just about any cut of pork. The savory-sweet, relish-like sauce is also a perfect complement to roasted, baked or grilled chicken. Kara Hawke — Polk, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve warm with chicken or pork. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's Note: If using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out. This recipe was tested with McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning. Look for it in the spice aisle.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning. Look for it in the spice aisle.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 48 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Originally published as Rhubarb Meat Sauce in Healthy Cooking April/May 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.