My daughter made a trip around the world and brought home this recipe from Iran. I've served it often to many of my friends and they always seem to savor its different, zingy taste.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried mint
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in butter. Remove meat from pan drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onions until lightly browned. Return meat to pan. Add saffron, broth, water, lemon juice, parsley, mint, salt and pepper; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours. Add additional water as needed. Add rhubarb during the last 15 minutes of cooking. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 287 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 1072mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Originally published as Rhubarb Beef in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips