Spicy Pickled Garlic
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Process: 10 min.
- 2 quarts water
- 3 cups peeled garlic cloves
- 12 coriander seeds
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 3 dried hot chiles, split
- 3 whole allspice
- 1 bay leaf, torn into three pieces
- 1-1/2 cups white wine vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canning salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add garlic and boil 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, divide coriander, peppercorns, chiles, allspice and bay leaf among three hot half-pint jars. Drain garlic and pack into jars to within 1/2 in. of the top.
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Carefully ladle hot liquid over garlic, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 garlic clove: 5 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Jun 17, 2017
This is my go to recipe for a small delicious batch of pickled garlic. The most time consuming part of the process of course is peeling the garlic. The brine and number of jar is always hit or miss. This time I got four 1/2 pint jars out of 3 cups of garlic, but some of the cloves were really large. I let my processed garlic ripen a few weeks before I open a jar. I try to anyway. I like to add slices of the pickled garlic to sandwiches, add them to salads, spoon a few cloves over roasted or fried chicken, or just eat them from the jar.
Nov 6, 2012
This is so much better than the pickled garlic I have purchased at safeway or any of the other stores for that matter...