Spiced Pickled Beets
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Process: 35 min.
- 3 pounds small fresh beets
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Place in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, 25-35 minutes. Remove from water; cool. Peel beets and cut into fourths.
- Place beets in a Dutch oven. Add sugar, water and vinegar. Place spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to beet mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Discard spice bag.
- Carefully pack beets into 4 hot 1-pint jars to within 1/2 in. of the top. Carefully ladle hot liquid over beets, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 35 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 53 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 44mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Jun 26, 2018
I love this recipe! The combination of spices is perfect. I do add a couple of teaspoons of salt and also a large onion, thinly sliced. One of my family's favorites.
Jun 26, 2018
I keep homemade pickled beets on hand almost all the time. I have not used allspice or cinnamon but will probably try it next time. I continue to use the liquid mixture each time, just adding enough vinegar and stevia to keep it strong enough. Yes I use stevia because I am a diabetic.
Aug 24, 2017
Can you use apple cider vinegar containing 'the mother' in this recipe?
Nov 30, 2016
I made these for the holiday from my grandfather's harvest. We added hard boiled eggs for thanksgiving and my husband family loved them. Everyone could tell the beets were homemade opposed to when other guests bring store bought. They loved the unique spicies.
Sep 30, 2016
A very nice pickled beet recipe. With a couple more beets there was a enough brine for 5 pints. I'll just cook up extra in my next batch. I used allspice powder because that was what l had. They look lovely. Janet. VFE
Jul 27, 2016
Wonderful recipe! Not too overpowering, but plenty of the traditional pickled beet flavors.
Apr 11, 2016
My 12 year old neice loves these she takes them for lunch at school at least weekly.
Aug 12, 2014
This is a great recipe, I didn't change a thing. I highly recommended this recipe it is so easy and tastes great.
Aug 5, 2013
We love Pickled Beets. But when I make them I add thin lemon slices to the beets as they heat up in the brine. The lemons look beautiful in the jars or you don' have to put the lemons in the jars. gmayk
Aug 11, 2012
This even surpasses the canned pickled beets my parents made. I love the addition of the spices. I have made it twice and will continue without changes. Yummy!