Sweet and Tangy Beets
Fresh beets are delicious when combined with aromatic spices and a hint of orange. These have the ideal balance of sweet and sour flavors. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 2 pounds small fresh beets, peeled and halved
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
- Place beets in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Mix sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in orange juice and vinegar. Pour over beets; dot with butter.
- Place cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. Place bag in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until tender, 7-8 hours. Discard spice bag.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 214 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 344mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Harvard Beets in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.