Diabetic Spiced Beets
This easy recipe from Mae Flint of Ionia, Michigan can't be "beet". Mae marinates canned beets in a mixture of vinegar, clove, pepper and bay leaf for a tart side dish that is sure to appeal to even finicky eaters.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole clove
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced beets, drained
- In a saucepan, bring the vinegar, water, bay leaf, clove, pepper and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sugar substitute until dissolved. Pour over beets. Cover and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight. Discard bay leaf and clove. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 37 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 461mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Diabetic Spiced Beets in Light & Tasty February/March 2004
Mar 7, 2017
I love this quick recipe.Even if I were not diabetic, I would love this recipe and it goes well as a side with anything.
Jul 8, 2010
Wonderful dish, goes with almost meat dish. I have now made this several times.