Spicy Pickled Green Beans
A co-worker brought these pickled beans into work one day...I was hooked after one bite! And I was thrilled when a jar of my beans won first place at the local county fair.—Jill Darin, Geneseo, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Process: 10 min.
- 1-3/4 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 teaspoons dill seed or 4 fresh dill heads
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- Pack beans into four hot 1-pint jars to within 1/2 in. of the top. Add the cayenne, garlic and dill seed to jars.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, vinegar and salt to a boil.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture over beans, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts8 each: 9 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 83mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Dill Green Beans in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.