Spicy Refried Beans
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, jalapeno and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir in the beans, water, hot pepper sauce, cumin, chili powder and cayenne. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until heated through. Transfer to a serving bowl; sprinkle with cheese.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 95 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Jan 28, 2015
This was pretty good!
Oct 8, 2013
I made this for a work luncheon and everyone loved it. Although I tripled some of the items. Kept 1 sm onion, did 1 1/2 jalapeno, 3 cans beans and tripled the spices. On the hot pepper sauce all I had in the cabinet was habanero sauce so I used that. Again a big hit for spicing up a can.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.