Spicy Chuck Wagon Beans
Baked beans don't get any easier! All you have to do is open some cans, chop a pepper and an onion, and add a dash (or two) of hot sauce. They'll simmer to perfection in minutes.—James Schend, Food Editor, Taste of Home magazine
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes24 servings (2/3 cup each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) baked beans
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) chili beans, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 packages (7 ounces each) frozen Jones All Natural Fully Cooked Sausage Links, thawed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup beer or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened and flavors are blended, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Slow Cooker Option: In a greased 6-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients, omitting oil. Cook, covered, on low until heated through, 6-8 hours.
Originally published as Chuck Wagon Beans in TOH Live Spring 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.