Spicy Chuck Wagon Beans
Baked beans don't get any easier! All you have to do is open some cans, chop a pepper and an onion, and add a dash (or two) of hot sauce. They'll simmer to perfection in minutes.—James Schend, Food Editor, Taste of Home magazine
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes24 servings (2/3 cup each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) baked beans
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) chili beans, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 packages (7 ounces each) frozen fully cooked breakfast sausage links, thawed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup beer or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened and flavors are blended, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Slow Cooker Option: In a greased 6-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients, omitting oil. Cook, covered, on low until heated through, 6-8 hours.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 221 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 8g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Chuck Wagon Beans in TOH Live Spring 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.