Award-Winning Chuck Wagon Chili
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 80 min.
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound pork stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup chili powder, divided
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned green chilies
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 3/4 cup beer
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated dark chocolate
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sprinkle beef and pork with half of the chili powder. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in batches in 2 tablespoons oil; drain and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion and celery in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add the garlic, chilies and remaining chili powder; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, beer, tomato sauce, chocolate, cumin, oregano, salt, mustard, cayenne and meat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 637 calories, 38g fat (11g saturated fat), 179mg cholesterol, 1285mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 57g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 9, 2018
I love that this uses the chuck - it is really good and you can make it as hot as you wish
Oct 10, 2012
Have prepared this chili several times. The chocolate adds a rich colour to the sauce. Excellent tasting chili!