Refried Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) refried beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 5 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/2-inch strips, optional
- Sour cream and shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring the tomatoes, onion and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the refried beans, broth and cilantro; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if tortilla strips are desired, place strips on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until crisp. Garnish soup with tortilla strips. Serve with sour cream and cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 153 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 765mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 8g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Jul 16, 2017
Excellent! I made this with the Mexican Drop Biscuits from the same issue.
May 20, 2015
I thought it was good but I think it had too much tomato, I like the idea of Fire Roasted tomatoes.
May 31, 2014
Just made this for our lunch....had everything on hand which was convenient. Topped with suggested items and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Was truly EXCELLENT and only change I made was to use canned FIRE-ROASTED tomatoes. I really was amazed at the flavor so something so simple to throw together. Served it with the NEW Keebler Cornbread & Jalapeno Crackers. They are winners, too.
May 30, 2014
This was wonderful! I loved how easy it was to make and it had a great smooth texture. The flavor was phenomenal! I will definitely be making this again!
Jan 7, 2012
It is real good. tastes just like my sister en laws soup.
Nov 8, 2011
This was so easy to make. It was a filling dish, great for a cold day and we all loved it.
Oct 14, 2011
my whole family loves this dish and so do my friends
Dec 29, 2010
needs texture of some sort...also i did not use all of the chicken broth
Jan 10, 2010
I like this recipe a lot
Dec 13, 2009
I used a whole diced onion,added 1 can of corn, chili powder and oregano and basil. Fantastic!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.