- 4 bacon strips
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/4 cup picante sauce or salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. In the drippings, saute the onion, celery and garlic powder until vegetables are tender.
- Add the beans, picante sauce, broth, parsley and bacon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until flavors are blended. Season to taste with pepper sauce if desired. Ladle into bowls and top with cheese. Serve with tortilla chips.
1 cup: 260 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 1012mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 10g protein.