Refried Bean Nachos
Cumin and cayenne pepper jazz up homemade chips in these no-fuss nachos from the Light & Tasty Test Kitchen. Topped with beans, cheese, tomato, green onions and salsa, the nachos make a satisfying snack or light meal.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) vegetarian refried beans
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Spritz one side of each tortilla with refrigerated butter-flavored spray. Combine the cumin, coriander, chili powder and cayenne; sprinkle over tortillas. Cut each into 12 wedges.
- Place in a single layer in ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake at 425° for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, heat the refried beans on high for 1-2 minutes or until warm. Arrange baked tortillas on serving plates; top with the beans, cheese, tomato and onions. Serve with salsa.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 310 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 959mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Meatless Nachos in Light & Tasty April/May 2006