Black Bean Chicken Nachos
One of my favorite local restaurants, Zeppelins, has the best chicken nachos. Their famous dish inspired me to create my own but with the added convenience of using the slow cooker. I always use fresh cilantro because it's economical and it makes the dish pop with flavor. —Natalie Hess, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) black bean and corn salsa
- 1 each medium green pepper and sweet red pepper, chopped
- Tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Optional toppings: Minced fresh cilantro, pickled jalapeno slices and sour cream
- Place chicken, salsa and peppers in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken; shred with two forks. Return to slow cooker. Using a slotted spoon, serve chicken over chips; sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. Add toppings of choice.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup chicken mixture (calculated without chips and toppings): 280 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 708mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Salsa Chicken Nachos in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.