Pickled Green Beans with Smoked Salmon Dip
I came up with this appetizer for my son, who's big on delicious but healthy food. The lighter beans-and-dip combo has won over even finicky eaters. —Dinah Halterman, Harmony, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating
Makes1-1/2 pounds beans (2-1/3 cups dip)
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons dill seed
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese or non-dairy imitation cream cheese
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-1/2 cups flaked smoked salmon fillets
- Fresh dill sprig, optional
- Assorted crackers, optional
- Place beans in a 13x9-in dish. Add dill seed and garlic. In a large saucepan, combine water, vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until salt is dissolved. Pour hot brine over beans. Cool completely. Refrigerate, covered, 2 days.
- For dip, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and yogurt until smooth. Stir in parsley, chives, horseradish, lemon zest and juice, dill weed and salt. Stir in salmon. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
- To serve, drain green beans; arrange on a platter. If desired, top dip with dill sprig. Serve dip with beans and, if desired, crackers.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 99 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Pickled Green Beans with Smoked Salmon Soy Cream Cheese Dip in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.