Peppered Squash Relish
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 pounds yellow summer squash, finely chopped
- 3 pounds zucchini, finely chopped
- 6 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 medium green peppers, finely chopped
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Drain vegetable mixture. Rinse in cold water and drain again. Place vegetables in a Dutch oven. Add sugars, vinegar, celery seed, turmeric and mustard. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until liquid is clear.
- Remove from heat; cool. Spoon into containers. Refrigerate, covered, up to 3 weeks.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 132 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 898mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 31, 2015
Just made this awesome relish! I cut the recipe in half. I ran out of brown sugar, only had 1/2 cup so used coconut sugar for the other 1/2. Also didn't use white sugar, used organic cane sugar instead. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly. Turned out amazing! Won't be buying store bought relish ever again! Going to try to freeze some as I don't want to bother with canning it.