Spicy Zucchini Relish
I can’t seem to make enough of this zippy, chunky relish. Zucchini creates a nice change of pace from the usual pickle relish, and the assortment of peppers adds a tongue-tingling bite.—Amy Martin, Bellefontaine, Ohio
Total Timeprep: 35 min. + marinating Cook: 40 min. + chilling
- 5 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup grated onion
- 4-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chopped seeded habanero pepper
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the zucchini, onion and salt. Seal bag and turn to coat: refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Rinse with water; drain.
- In a large saucepan, combine the cornstarch, mustard, turmeric, celery seed and pepper. Gradually whisk in vinegar until blended. Stir in peppers and zucchini mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 tablespoon: 5 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 223mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Spicy Zucchini Relish in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.