Pepper Steak with Squash
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound), cut into thin strips
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into thin strips
- 1 small onion, cut into thin strips
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fresh snow peas
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- Hot cooked rice
- Mix broth and soy sauce with cornstarch until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; stir-fry until no longer pink, 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil. Stir-fry peppers about 2 minutes. Add zucchini, onion and garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Add snow peas, mushrooms and water chestnuts. Stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes more.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until sauce is thickened, 1-2 minutes. Return beef to skillet; heat through. Serve with hot cooked rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups stir-fry (calculated without rice): 229 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 381mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Jul 9, 2018
It was nice, but we would need more spice, maybe some red pepper flakes.
Feb 8, 2018
Was delighted with this dish. It was quick and easy to make, and packed with veggies. Accidentally used Worcestershire sauce instead of soy sauce, but added the soy at the end. Was very good.
Oct 8, 2017
Easy to make. I adjusted flavors for our tastes.
Apr 30, 2017
Loved the beef with vegetables! We added the ginger and sesame oil recommended by the test kitchen and I think that was a great flavor addition. I appreciate that it's healthy and comes together quickly.
Apr 17, 2017
I loved the addition of zucchini in this recipe. It's a very healthy and flavorful dish. The flank steak was a little tough. I would try to pan sear it next time to make it more tender. But I thought this recipe tasted good and my family really liked it.
Apr 12, 2017
I really wanted to like this recipe, but I was surprised at how completely bland it tasted. Are there ingredients missing from the recipe?