Yellow Summer Squash Relish
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + marinating Process: 15 min.
- 10 cups shredded yellow summer squash (about 4 pounds)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 6 tablespoons canning salt
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon each celery seed, ground mustard and ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large container, combine squash, onions, green pepper and salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain; rinse and drain again.
- In a Dutch oven, combine sugar, vinegar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Add squash mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into six hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Refrigerate remaining relish for up to 1 week.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 36 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 197mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 8, 2018
Great recipe and love the fact it is shreds instead of slices.
Nov 27, 2017
I used to have this recipe but it was lost. Thank you for posting it. This stuff is so delicious! I really don't like beans but with this along side I really like them. It's good with most anything even mix with tuna salad or atop hot dogs in place of pickle relish. A real keeper!
Nov 14, 2017
THANKS, looking forward to making this
Aug 18, 2017
THIS RECIPE IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!THE BEST I HAVE EVER MADE.
Jul 28, 2017
Sounds good, I make squash pickles, so I'm sure we would love this.
Jun 27, 2017
Used some of my big squash to make this yummy relish today. I ground my vegetables attachment. Can't wait to have it on dried beans.
May 29, 2017
Jul 20, 2015
Outstanding taste and so easy to make. It is the perfect relish for just about any sandwich
Jul 15, 2015
Excellent and easy. It may be a lot of sugar, but broken down by serving, it isn't bad.
Mar 10, 2015
This is the most delicious relish ever. My aunt made it a while back, gave me the recipe but I lost it. So happy to have found it here. I shared a bit with a co-worker who wasn't that enthused about it. But she tried it on a sausage roll and insisted on having a full jar for herself plus the recipe. I am now on my last quart and can't wait until summer to make it again.One of the ways I use it is in potato salad. Saves so much time on chopping and has all the ingredients I usually use plus the perfect sweetness. Other than that, topping vegetables is another favorite way to use it. Low in calories, healthy, delicious and pretty.