Pickled Green Tomato Relish
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + standing Process: 15 min./batch
- 7 pounds green tomatoes (about 20 medium)
- 4 large onions
- 2 large red onions
- 3 large green peppers
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 4 teaspoons canning salt
- 5 cups cider vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 4 teaspoons mustard seed
- Cut tomatoes, onions and peppers into wedges. In a food processor, cover and process vegetables in batches until finely chopped. Stir in salt. Divide mixture between two strainers and place each over a bowl. Let stand 3 hours.
- Discard liquid from bowls. Place vegetables in a stockpot; stir in vinegar, sugar, celery seed and mustard seed. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until thickened.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into eight hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 37 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Oct 10, 2019
I used the exact ingredients and measurements except I only put 3 and a half cups of sugar and in the end I got 11 pint jars. Love the recipe, this is the second time I’ve made it.
Oct 25, 2016
do you have to peel the tomatoes?
Oct 21, 2016
Just finished putting it to a simmer ( which will take longer as I did not have the time to drain, as suggested in the first part.). I will end up with more than just 8 pints, though. Smells wonderful.
Aug 12, 2016
Loved the salty sour combination. I added 3-1/2 cups sugar.
Jul 20, 2016
This is the same thing as Chow Chow relish that has beenaround for years. Just a smaller batch without the cabbagean a few less seasonings. We always made this at the endof the growing season in Ohio. It used up the green tomatoesand peppers etc that left in the garden would just rot otherwise.You can use different ratios of the vegetables. Just as long as youhave enough juice to cover the product in the jars. Taste cold andwhile hot before you can it. You can adjust using onion powder ifneeded. We add chow chow to potato, tuna,macaroni, chicken &,ham salads. Also cold slaw. Any recipe that has mayo as a base isgood with this added to it. I'd say 1 cup mayo to around 2Tablespoons of chow chow and maybe 1 teaspoon mustard. It'sall to taste. No mustard in the slaw....but heavier on the chowchow to mayo ratio. Great on hot dogs and burgers . Makes agreat tarter sauce for fish.. Thousand island dressing. Lots of uses.
Oct 7, 2015
My husband helped me can this and we were blown away by how indescribably delicious this is!