Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 5 pounds tart apples (about 16 medium), peeled and sliced
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 25-35 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; mash apples to desired consistency. Serve warm or cold. Freeze option: Freeze cooled applesauce in freezer containers. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Serve cold or heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 94 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 3g fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 28, 2018
I do mine like this on a smaller scale. I don't use apple juice though, I use water. Never have measured anything, doesn't take much water, and I taste as I go...lol. My mom would sometimes add part of a bag of red hots, instead of any spices. It's delicious that way too!
Oct 22, 2015
Very good recipe. The kids loved it!
Oct 5, 2008
Loved this!!! It was easy and so healthy too! You should reprint this in the Healthy Cooking Magazine. I loved that it had no salt or added sugar.Thanks!