Cornbread Taco Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, tomato sauce, water, green pepper and taco seasoning. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Prepare cornbread mix according to package directions for corn bread. Stir in half of the onions. Spread over beef mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and remaining onions. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and a toothpick inserted into corn bread layer comes out clean.
Nutrition FactsNutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 575 calories, 27 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 1,443 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Jun 27, 2018
Made as is, Agree with others Corn Chips really rocks this.
Apr 22, 2017
We LIKE it.
Apr 11, 2017
It's good like written but a couple picky family members didn't want the onions in the cornbread. lol. I made it again but made my chili recipe and topped it with the Corn Muffin Mix. Hubby loved that! My chili is more like a Taco Chili so it had the Mexican touch. JGa2595176, as you suggested, I like the crunch of tortilla chips or Fritos corn chips as well.
Aug 15, 2016
Very good flavor. Made as directed, but added those famous black beans that so many suggested in the reviews. Was worried the corn bread topping wouldn't puff up (seemed thin), but in the end was a beautiful dish. Would make again. Served with tortillas chips and a green salad. Nice meal.
Aug 4, 2015
Made this tonight and it was very good! I added a 4 ounce can of green chiles to add a little spice, but that is the only change I made. I also like the idea of adding black beans. Will try that the next time. I will be making this again and again.
Feb 22, 2015
nice change from tacos!
Nov 28, 2014
As a volunteer food editor I read through the reviews before preparing. Glad I did! At the suggestion of another reviewer I added a can of black beans. This made a very large dish that easily fead a house full of hungry teenagers. Plus, easily reheated for late-comers. For dessert we had ToH recipe for Cinnamon Cream Cheese Squares. A perfect evening!
Jul 16, 2014
Really easy to make. I used only 1/2 a green pepper as they sometimes overtake flavor. I did however add a small can of sliced black olives and chopped green chilies. Also, I'm sure I added more cheese to the top than necessary. I think these additions are probably why I avoided the dry problem some other reviewers had. The sweet corm bread and spicy meat went very well together. I probably won't make it monthly, but it will go on the comfort food list with tater tot casserole and others.
May 2, 2014
SO easy to make, and I even tried a vegetarian version! I made a short little blog post about it, here: http://sisfor-samantha.blogspot.com/2014/05/mexican-cornbread-bake-great-pantry-dish.html I ran out of sour cream, or else that would've been SO yummy paired with this! Next time I'll try it with beef, but I'm looking forward to trying it with chicken, too!
Aug 10, 2013
Made many times very tasty and easy to make.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.