- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds), cut in half
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Dash salt
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 5 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed, drained and warmed
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- Optional: Reduced-fat sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced avocado, lime wedges and warmed corn tortillas
- Place beef and broth in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef; discard juices. Return beef to slow cooker; shred with 2 forks.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion and jalapeno until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and salsa; bring to a boil. Add to beef, stirring to combine. Cook, covered, on high for 1 hour or until flavors are blended.
- For each serving, place 1/2 cup rice in a soup bowl. Top with beef mixture, beans and pico de gallo. Serve with optional ingredients as desired.
Can you freeze Taco Bowls?
Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
1 serving: 389 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 550mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.