When it’s done slow-cooking, this beef shreds like a dream. We make it often, because it’s super easy to customize with fun, fresh and healthy toppings. —Hope Wasylenki, Gahanna, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds), cut in half
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Dash salt
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 5 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed, drained and warmed
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- Optional: Reduced-fat sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced avocado, lime wedges and warmed corn tortillas
- Place beef and broth in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef; discard juices. Return beef to slow cooker; shred with 2 forks.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion and jalapeno until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and salsa; bring to a boil. Add to beef, stirring to combine. Cook, covered, on high for 1 hour or until flavors are blended.
- For each serving, place 1/2 cup rice in a soup bowl. Top with beef mixture, beans and pico de gallo. Serve with optional ingredients as desired.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 389 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 550mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Nov 24, 2019
This was delicious. Love the texture of the stewed meat with the jalapenos, great kick. I did season the meat with a little extra chili powder and cumin before starting the crockpot.