- 2 medium green peppers
- 1/2 pound ground beef or lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water until crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomato sauce and taco seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until heated through, 5-6 minutes. Spoon into peppers.
- Arrange pepper halves in an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until peppers are tender, 10-12 minutes. Top with sour cream, cheese and tomatoes.
2 stuffed pepper halves: 599 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 1600mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 15g fiber), 42g protein.