Tasty Lentil Tacos
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 12 taco shells
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion and garlic until tender. Add lentils and seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Cook, uncovered, until mixture is thickened, 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mash lentils slightly; stir in salsa and heat through. Serve in taco shells. Top with remaining ingredients.
Nutrition Facts2 tacos: 365 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 777mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 19, 2019
Delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe. I used a tri-color lentil mix and made it in my Quick Cooker. I used the Sear function to saute the onions, garlic, lentils, and seasonings. Added the broth and cooked 5 minutes on the Beans setting, followed by a 10 minute natural steam release.
Apr 12, 2018
It was very filling and smelled so good cooking! My husband said that if I hadn't told him it was meatless he would never have guessed. I didn't bother to mash the lentils, just cooked it till it was soft and broke apart easily.
Dec 29, 2016
I'm always looking to switch it up with some meatless options for dinner. These were amazing! I use this lentil filling just as often as I make ground beef filling now. Definitely a 5 star recipe!
Apr 11, 2016
Yum!!! So good!
Dec 18, 2014
May 5, 2014
OMG!!! These were so yummy. I could not eat enough of tacos. Great choice!
Apr 14, 2014
The taco mixture is delicious! I didn't have any salsa, so I used half a can of diced tomatoes and half a can of chopped green chilis in place of the salsa. I put mine over tortilla chips, like nachos. I made it again a few days later (to use the rest of the tomatoes and chopped green chilis)! I ate some like chili. This is a definite keeper recipe!
Sep 17, 2013
Totally loved this dish!
Apr 22, 2013
Loved this recipe. My kids even ate it. Used red lentils and it was even tastier than any meal, and healthy too. I also used 0% Fage yogurt in place of sour cream. YUM!
Jul 5, 2012