Hearty Pita Tacos
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 2/3 cup taco sauce
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 6 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Sliced avocado and additional taco sauce, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, red pepper and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, corn, taco sauce, olives and seasonings; heat through.
- Spoon 3/4 cup beef mixture into each pita half. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with avocado and additional taco sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 339 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 787mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
May 8, 2017
We used tortillas instead since the store I went to didn't have any pita bread. I thought the filling was quite tasty, but I had added more taco sauce to it. Those are the only changes I made. I will make this again and add some more seasoning.
Apr 28, 2011
How in the world do you get the filing in the Pita bread like that. I'm lucky if I can get half that much in before they split. Usually have filling falling all over the plate and all over me when I try to eat them. Shirley
Jun 7, 2010
It was ok... like the packaged taco mix better.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.