Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large sweet pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 large onion, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
- 8 pita pocket halves
- Guacamole and sour cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. For salsa, combine first four ingredients; stir in 1 tablespoon oil.
- Brush pepper halves and onion slices with remaining oil. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place vegetables and chicken on an oiled grill rack over medium heat. Grill, covered, until vegetables are tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, 4-6 minutes per side.
- Cut vegetables and chicken into strips; toss with cheese. Spoon into pita halves; place on a baking sheet. Bake until cheese is melted, 5-7 minutes. Serve with salsa and, if desired, guacamole and sour cream.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 filled pita half: 327 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 511mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Apr 6, 2014
Made these for lunch with Janes frozen grilled chicken strips I used coconut oil to grill the chicken and veggies! Very nice recipe!
Apr 18, 2013
I love fajitas & this was a great way to eat them & the leftovers taste good the next day too! Thanks for making fajita night a little different!
Jul 21, 2011
I really liked this recipe. I didn't get the chance to grill the chicken so I cooked the chicken in a skillet with chicken broth and salt and pepper. Even my daughter liked. I would make it again.
Jan 7, 2011
This was good, my daughter did not care for.. But the rest of us thought it was a decent meal..
May 30, 2010
A nice alternative to regular faijias
Jan 11, 2010
these are wonderful. I have a handicapped daughter with cerebral palsy, i made pocket tacos for her about 30 years ago because the taco shells crumbled in her hands. she could have a taco and handle it herself. she is 40 years old now and still loves them, she loves the fajitas also.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.