Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 taco shells, warmed
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced green onions and shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until thickened.
- Spoon beef mixture into taco shells. Serve with toppings of your choice.
Nutrition Facts2 tacos (calculated without optional toppings): 306 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 468mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Jul 29, 2015
It's very easy to make, and healthier (less sodium) than the store packets of seasoning. It tastes good, but it's a bit on the bland side for us. I would add more chili powder next time.
Mar 20, 2015
It really didn't need the garlic, but overall it's a great recipe.
Apr 23, 2012
cut way back on chili powder, used 1/4tsp.,1/2tsp. cumin. very good. will make again.
Apr 14, 2012
This recipe was awesome! These are all ingredients I always have on hand. It was so much better (and healthier) than those taco seasoning packets you get from the grocery store. I've tried several homemade taco seasoning recipes, but this is my favorite one. Next time I will substitute ground turkey for the ground beef.