Tricky Taco Cups
Fools of all ages will fall in love with these sensationally sneaky sweets that look like taco salads. Crunchy waffle bowls are filled with chocolate ice cream, then topped with tinted coconut "lettuce" and "cheese", maraschino cherry "tomatoes" and black licorice "olives".
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 1 cup ground pecans
- 1 pint chocolate or vanilla ice cream
- 1-3/4 teaspoons water, divided
- 6 drops green food coloring
- 1-3/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 4 drops yellow food coloring
- 6 waffle ice cream bowls
- 6 tablespoons whipped topping
- 3 pieces black rope licorice, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 9 maraschino cherries, patted dry, halved
- Place pecans in a shallow bowl. Drop small scoops of ice cream into pecans; roll to coat. Place on a baking sheet; freeze until firm. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1-1/2 teaspoons water and green food coloring; add 1-1/2 cups coconut. Seal bag and shake to tint. In a small resealable plastic bag, combine yellow food coloring and remaining water; add remaining coconut. Seal bag and shake to tint.
- Place coated ice cream balls in waffle bowls. Sprinkle with green coconut. Dollop with whipped topping. Sprinkle with the yellow coconut and licorice; top with the cherries. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 468 calories, 31g fat (14g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Tricky Taco Cups in Quick Cooking March/April 2004