Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Add milk and butter; mix well. Press onto the bottom and sides of a 12-to 14-in. pizza pan. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato paste, canned tomatoes, taco seasoning and water; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Spread over crust.
- Combine cheeses; sprinkle 2 cups over the meat layer. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Top with lettuce, fresh tomato, olives, onions and remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 694 calories, 37g fat (21g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 2038mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 7g fiber), 28g protein.
May 20, 2012
Very good! I liked the cornbread-like crust. It didn't take long to make and was very good. I didn't use as much cheese as it called for, because it seemed like too much. Cut back on the cheese and it's awesome!
Dec 15, 2010
Yummy! Very Filling though and makes a very large pizza, so unless you have a large family expect leftovers.
Mar 28, 2010
I like the cornmeal crust. All the fresh vegetables make it very tasty. I do use only ground beef as I do not always have sausage. I also like making my Pizza Mexican for a change of pace.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.