The Best Pizza Dough
This easy pizza dough recipe is the key to making an extraordinary homemade pizza. We use all-purpose flour because double zero is hard to find. But if you're lucky enough to live near an Italian market or willing to purchase double zero flour online, using this flour will take your crust to the next level. You won't be disappointed with the results! —Josh Rink, Taste of Home Food Stylist
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
Makes2 crusts (8 servings each)
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose or 00 flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and marjoram, optional
- 1/3 cup vegetable or olive oil
- In a small bowl, mix warm water and 1 teaspoon sugar; add yeast and whisk until dissolved. Let stand until bubbles form on surface. In a large bowl, whisk 3 cups flour, salt, remaining 1 teaspoon sugar and if desired, dried herbs. Make a well in center; add yeast mixture and oil. Stir until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead, adding more flour to surface as needed until no longer sticky and dough is smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a large greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes; transfer bowl to refrigerator and chill overnight. Allow dough to come to room temperature before rolling, about 30 minutes.
Test Kitchen tip